The Sakriya project (Sakriya means “Active”) builds the capacity of Nepalese civil society to more effectively detect and combat forced child labor and other labor abuses in Nepal’s brick, embroidery and carpet weaving sectors. The project supports a core group of civil society actors to leverage partnerships across Nepal’s child protection networks to facilitate access to services for survivors of labor abuses and reduce the risk that adults and children will be forced in to harmful work in these sectors. The project is also working to improve the capacity of these networks to raise awareness of these problems; and improve capacity to implement initiatives to address child labor & or forced labor and violations of acceptable conditions of work.
The Project is implemented by World Education International in Partnership with three organizations: Swatantrata Abhiyan Nepal (SAN), Antenna Foundation Nepal (AFN) and Terre des homes (TDH).
Sakriya- Civil Society Action to End Exploitation Child Labor (Sakriya) is been implemented by Aasaman Nepal (ASN) with the technical and financial support from the World Education International in two municipalities (i.e. Bideha municipality, Mithila Bihari municipality and Aurahi Rural Municipality (Recently added) Dhanusha district of province 2.
Objectives of the Project
- Improved capacity of civil society to identify and document accurate, independent and objective information on the nature and scope of child labor and or forced child labor and violations of acceptable conditions of work in the brick, zari and carpet sectors.
- Improved capacity of civil society to raise awareness for the protection of workers from child labor and or forced labor abuses and violations of acceptable conditions of work.
- Improved capacity of civil society organizations to implement initiatives to address child labor and or forced labor and violations of acceptable conditions of work.
Outcomes of the Projects:
- Identification and documentation of Child labor
- Awareness Raising Campaign
- Case management
Major Activities done
- Palika Level orientation of sakriya project in all 3 working municipalities.
- Observation of the areas of child labor and labor exploitation areas.
- Observation of all the brick kilns and meeting with all the owners of brick kilns.
- Community based research action survey at 3 brick kilns factories and one wards.
- Child labor Identification Survey in all the wards and identify the exploitation of child labor for the Covid Relief support.
- Community based research action survey in all brick kilns factories by mobilizing CBOs of all wards.
- Mobilization of the networks NGOs and CBOs.
- CBOs Orientation for CBAR Survey.
- 5 days Virtual Case management training at Bideha and Mithila Bihari Municipality.
- Meeting with ward chairperson of all of the wards for the identification of high risk, medium risk and low-risk children for the case management.
- Two Days SBCC training to CBOs of all 3 working municipalities.
- Ward Level Child Right Protection committees have been formulated in all 3 working municipalities.